Lemon and Tarragon Chicken
- whole chicken, size 16
- 90g butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp dried tarragon, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 spring onions, halved
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. In a small bowl, using a fork, combine butter, tarragon and garlic. Gently slide fingers under breast skin to loosen, being careful not to split it.
Rub half the butter mixture under the skin. Brush remaining butter over the outside of the chicken. Stuff chicken cavity with lemon and spring onions. Place chicken breast-side up in a roasting pan. Pour 1/4 cup water into pan.
Bake for 1¼ hours until cooked when tested (juices will run clear).
4. Remove chicken from pan and rest, loosely covered with foil for 10 minutes.
5. To make the gravy, place pan with juices onto stovetop and bring to a simmer. Stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove from heat. Stir in wine, then stock, until smooth. Return to heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until gravy boils and thickens.
6. Sprinkle chicken with extra tarragon. Serve carved with gravy.