Marinated Feta and Mushroom Toast
- 200g feta
- 1 red chilli, halved
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- extra virgin olive oil
- 40g butter
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- artisan loaf (e.g. ciabatta or sourdough), thickly sliced and toasted
- tomato relish
- rocket or baby spinach leaves to serve
1. Break feta into large chunks. Gently place in a sealable jar with chilli, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns. Pour in enough oil to cover feta completely. Seal jar with a lid. Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour (keeps in fridge for up to two weeks).
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan on high. Sauté mushrooms for 4-5 minutes until golden and tender. Add lemon juice and season to taste.
3. Serve hot mushrooms piled onto toast with crumbled feta and relish. Accompany with rocket or spinach.