French Toast with Mimosa Peaches
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup caster sugar, plus ½ cup extra for later
- 8 slices panettone or fruit bread, sliced 1.5cm thick
- 60g butter, plus extra for frying
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 peaches, halved, stones removed
- 250g mascarponeq
- 1 vanilla bean, split, or
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk and ¼ cup sugar together. Dip each slice of bread into mixture to soak through on both sides.
2. Pour ½ cup sugar into frying pan. Heat on high, shaking pan, until sugar melts and begins to turn golden brown around edges. Add butter and orange juice. Add peaches, cut-side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes until undersides caramelise. Set syrup aside.
3. Heat extra butter in a large frying pan on medium heat. Fry bread pieces in batches for around 2 minutes each side until golden and crisp.
4. Combine mascarpone and vanilla. To serve, place 1 or 2 pieces of toast on a plate, spoon 2 peach halves and syrup on top, then dollop with mascarpone.