Chocolate and Salted Caramel Drizzle Cake
- 150 g chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 200 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 80 g butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 500 ml cream
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. Preheat an oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. Place the chocolate and 200g butter into a heat-proof bowl over simmering water. Stir occasionally until it is completely smooth. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, yoghurt and 1 1/2 cups caster sugar until well combined. Pour in the chocolate and mix well.
4. Into a large bowl sieve the flours, baking soda and 2 Tbsp cocoa. Add in the wet mixture, stirring until smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin.
6. To make the caramel sauce – in a small saucepan slowly melt 80g of butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup caster sugar and golden syrup until all have dissolved. Gently simmer for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring. Add 1/2 cup cream and salt. Cook for another minute. Allow to cool completely.
7. For the cake filling, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp cocoa and half the caramel sauce until completely smooth. Add 500ml cream and beat until thickened, being careful not to overbeat.
8. To assemble the cake, split it horizontally in three with a sharp knife. Place the bottom onto a plate and spread with 1/3 of the caramel filling. Repeat with the second layer, then the top. On the final layer either pipe or spread the remaining filling onto the top.
9. Just before serving, drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce. If it has been in the fridge it may need 10 seconds in the microwave to bring it back to room temperature.