Berry Cream Tart
- 1 packet sweet short pastry, pre-rolled
- 300 ml whipped cream
- 250 g strawberries
- 125 g raspberries
- 125 g blueberries
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
How to Have Fun with Leftover Pastry
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan forced). Line a 24cm round flan with pastry. Trim edges and chill 15 minutes.
2. Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking weights, rice or pasta. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until golden. Cool completely.
3. For the crème patisierre, heat milk in saucepan with vanilla until almost boiling. Set aside.
4. Beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick and pale. Beat in cornflour. Gradually pour milk into mixture, whisking constantly.
5. Pour mixture into a clean saucepan. Cook on medium, stirring constantly for 6-8 minutes, until it boils and thickens. Turn element down and simmer for 1 minute. Cover and leave to cool.
6. Spoon cooled crème patissiere into pastry case. Chill until cold. Top with whipped cream and cover with berries. Dust with icing sugar to serve.