Roast Chicken with Herb Stuffing Balls
- 1 size 16 chicken
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 stick celery, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
2. To make the stuffing, heat the butter and oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, celery and garlic, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes until soft. Place into a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs, herbs, eggs, lemon, salt and pepper. Combine the mixture well with your hands.
3. Wash, then pat dry your chicken with paper towels. Place the chicken into a roasting dish, season well and rub with a little oil. Fill the cavity with half the stuffing and tie the legs with string. Pour the water or stock around the base, cover the chicken with foil and place into the oven for 1 hour.
4. Remove the foil from the chicken and continue to cook for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Roll the remainder of the stuffing into golf sized balls and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Place the stuffing balls in the oven for the last 20 minutes of the chicken cooking.
7. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
8. Serve with your favourite roast vegetables.