Potato, Pumpkin and Sage Gratin
- 4 potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm slices
- 600 g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5mm slices
- 1 small brown onion, peeled
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 300 ml cream
- 50 g butter, chopped, plus 30g extra
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- cayenne pepper, to sprinkle
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fanforced. Grease a shallow 2-litre ovenproof dish and place on a baking tray.
2. Place slices of potato in a large microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until just tender. Stand for 2 minutes and drain. Repeat with pumpkin, microwave for 3-4 minutes, stand for 2 minutes then drain.
3. Meanwhile, press cloves in to the onion and place milk, cream and onion in a medium heavy-based saucepan over a moderate heat. Bring to a simmer, take off the heat and stand for 5 minutes for flavours to infuse.
4. Using tongs remove the onion and discard. Pour milk into a heatproof jug and wipe pan clean.
5. Melt butter in the pan over a moderate heat. Add flour, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until bubbling. Add nutmeg, cook and stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Gradually whisk in warm cream mixture until smooth. Cook and whisk for 4 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat, stir in half the parmesan until melted and smooth. Season with pepper, to taste.
6. Arrange half the potato over the base of prepared dish. Top with half the pumpkin and pour over half the cream mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and the cayenne pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Stand gratin for 5 minutes.
7. Melt extra butter in small frying pan over moderate heat. Add sage; cook and turn for 1-2 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Serve gratin topped with sage.
Tip: To make this gluten free, replace the flour with gluten free flour or cornflour.