Upside-down Chocolate Caramel Nut Cake
- 40 g butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, pistachios
- 2 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, walnuts
- 2 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, macadamia
- 125 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
How to Cream Butter and Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep, 20cm round cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
2. To make caramel nut topping, combine the butter, sugar and cream in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Pour caramel mixture over the base of the prepared pan, sprinkle combined nuts over caramel. Put in freezer while preparing cake mixture.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between each addition. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, then chocolate and milk.
4. Spread cake mixture over caramel nut topping. Bake for about 70 minutes. Stand cake in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool.