Christmas Pudding and Chocolate Semifreddo
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp brandy or brandy essence
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 2/3 cups thickened cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g store bought Christmas pudding, broken into small pieces
- 125 g milk chocolate
1. Bring saucepan, one-third filled with water, to a gentle simmer.
2. Place egg yolks, brandy and half of the caster sugar in medium bowl. Place over simmering water. Using electric beaters whip for five minutes on high until pale and thickened. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In another bowl, whip egg whites and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
4. In a large bowl, whip cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold egg whites through the yolk mixture until almost combined, then fold this mix through cream.
5. Stir through pudding pieces. Pour mixture into pudding basin, cover with cling wrap and freeze overnight.
6. On the day of serving melt chocolate in a microwave-proof jug for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
7. To prepare the semifreddo: remove mix from the freezer. Place basin in a sink of hot water for just long enough to loosen the semifreddo. Turn out of mould onto a platter and pour over the melted chocolate.
8. Allow chocolate to set, and semifreddo to thaw slightly. Use a hot knife to cut into pieces.