Spicy Jerk Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil plus extra for frying
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp thyme, chopped
- 1/4 green cabbage
How to Prepare a Chicken or Turkey for Roasting
1. Place drumsticks into a container. Mix together chilli flakes, garlic salt, thyme, allspice, pepper, sugar and oil. Mix to a paste and rub into the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes minimum, or overnight if possible, covered in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
3. Pour a little oil in an ovenproof pan and place in the oven. When hot, remove from oven, carefully place marinated chicken in the pan. Toss in the hot oil. Return to the oven, roast for 30 minutes turning half way through. Cook until golden brown and juices run clear when pricked with a fork.
4. Remove chicken from the pan, transfer to a dish and keep warm. To make the sauce, place the pan on the stove top, sprinkle in flour, cook gently for 1 minute, stirring all the time, slowly pour in chicken stock. Cook until nice and thick. Taste and season. Pour any rested chicken juices in to the gravy and pour in to a small bowl.
5. Slice cabbage into strips, place on dish and serve chicken on the bed of cabbage with sauce on the side.