Mini Savoury Pikelets
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 50 g melted butter, plus extra for cooking
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 Tbsp pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 Tbsp semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup mascarpone or sour cream
- 1 Tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- 4 slices prosciutto, grilled, torn
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Sift flour into a large bowl and stir in sugar.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, butter, cheese, olives, tomatoes and basil. Season to taste.
3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually fold in milk mixture until batter is smooth.
4. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan on medium. Brush with extra melted butter. Drop heaped tablespoonfuls of batter into pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn and cook for one minute or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing the pan with butter as you go.
6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine mascarpone with pesto. Serve pikelets topped with mascarpone mixture, prosciutto and basil leaves.
Tip: You may need to add another ¼ cup milk, depending on thickness of the batter. For a vegetarian option, replace the prosciutto with fried halloumi.