- 7 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 250 g butter
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 cups eggs (2 whole, 1 egg white only)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- lollies to decorate
- 1/2 cup water
- queen food colour multi pack, 4pk
- 3 cups shredded coconut
How to Decorate a Gingerbread House
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line 2x baking trays with baking paper. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl.
2. In a saucepan melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes, then whisk in the eggs. Pour the mix into the middle of the dry ingredients stirring vigorously to form a soft dough. Cut the dough into six pieces.
3. Roll one piece of dough between two sheets of baking paper until 2mm thick. Cut out one of your templates and place onto a baking tray. Continue with the remainder of the dough until you have all the pieces for the house.
4. Bake the dough for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely on the trays, then store in an airtight container until you are ready to assemble your house.
5. To make the icing, beat the egg white until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and mix until smooth.
6. To make the grass, combine water and green food colouring. Pour the colour over the shredded coconut in a large bowl and mix. Spread onto a tray and dry overnight.
7. Get creative decorating the house while it is still in flat pieces with your favourite lollies and candy sticks, using the icing to hold the lollies in place.
8. When you have finished decorating, assemble the house using the icing to attach the pieces together. Once complete place on a tray or plate and sprinkle the grass around the house.