Citrus and Cranberry Chicken
- 1 1/2 kg chicken drumsticks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp Tuscan herbs
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 3 bacon slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup natural Greek yoghurt
1. Place the chicken into a large baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, orange zest, lemon zest, honey, herbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cranberries. Pour over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least two hours.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. Cover chicken with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil for a further 50 minutes.
4. While the chicken is cooking, combine the yoghurt, honey, orange juice and lemon juice and keep aside.
5. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion, bacon and celery and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the fresh herbs and chopped nuts.
6. When the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear, remove from the oven. Serve on a platter with the bacon mixture sprinkled on top and garnish with fresh herbs and the yoghurt dressing on the side.
Tip: Remove the chicken from the fridge for 20 minutes before placing into the oven, to ensure even cooking.