Freshlife Christmas Fruit Cake with Cranberries & Walnuts
- 1 kg Freshlife Fruit Mix
- 150 g Freshlife Cranberries
- 70 g Freshlife Californian Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 3 Tbsp blackstrap molasses, treacle or golden syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 300 g butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups high-grade flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 orange, finely grated zest and juice
- Cake Topping & Glaze
- 70 g blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup smooth apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Place the dried fruit, nuts, marmalade, blackstrap molasses and apple juice in a large bowl. Mix well, then cover and leave overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a 24cm deep square or round cake tin with three layers of baking paper.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. (If the mixture starts to curdle add 1 tablespoon of the measured flour).
4. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices and fold into the mixture with the orange zest. Add the soaked fruit mixture. Mix in the orange juice.
5. Spoon cake mixture into the prepared tin, smooth the top and arrange the blanched almonds on top.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
7. Remove from the cake tin. Heat the apricot jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan until the jam has melted. Brush the top of the cake with some of the apricot glaze. Leave glaze to set before placing the cake in an airtight container.