Baked Apple Sponge
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 whole clove
- 1 slice lemon peel
- 60g low-fat spread
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ice-cream or cream, to servel
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. To make stewed fruit: Place 1cm water in a saucepan with sugar, clove and lemon peel. Bring to boil, stirring. Add fruit. Cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes until tender.
3. Spoon stewed fruit into the base of a 20cm pie plate or casserole dish.
4. In a bowl, beat spread and sugar together until creamy. Add egg, beating well. Lightly fold in flour, alternately with milk. Spread evenly over fruit.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is firm and golden. Serve warm with ice-cream or cream.