Salt and Pepper Squid on Noodle Salad
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- 1 carrot, grated coarsely
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 500g squid rings
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ cup oil for frying
- 1 lemon cut in wedges to serve
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Place vermicelli in a large bowl, top with boiling water for 10 minutes to soften, then drain.
2. To prepare the salad: in a large bowl combine carrot, onion, cabbage, coriander, parsley and lemon zest. In a small jar mix sweet chilli, lemon juice and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. Rinse squid rings and pat them dry. In a bowl combine flour, salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Dust the squid in flour then place a few at a time into the pan cooking for 2 or 3 minutes each side until crispy and golden. Drain on a paper towel. Continue to cook the remainder.
5. To serve: mix the dressing with the salad and serve onto plates or a platter. Top with hot squid and serve lemon wedges on the side.
TIP: To test the oil temperature is correct cook one piece of calamari first, and taste!