- 3 cups self-raising flour OR 3 cups plain flour and 6 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp table salt
- 60g butter, cubed
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- Whipped cream and jam to serve
How to make scones
1. Preheat oven to 230oC (210 oC fan-bake).
2. Lightly grease and flour a baking tray or line with baking paper.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
4. Rub butter into flour using just your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Add milk all at once, mix in quickly with a round-bladed knife to form a soft dough. Add more milk if necessary.
6. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly by turning and pressing with heel of hand 3 or 4 times.
7. Pat or gently roll out to a 2cm-thick round. Cut into 4-5cm rounds with a floured cutter, re-rolling offcuts.
8. Place on baking tray, brush tops with extra milk.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and well risen.
10. Serve with whipped cream and jam.