Hamish’s Feta-Crusted Salmon with Garlic Chips & Asparagus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Agria potatoes, washed and cut into 1cm-thick chips
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter plus a little extra for cooking
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- spray oil
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- mayonnaise or aioli, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. For the garlic chips, place the olive oil and chips in a sealed plastic bag and shake to coat the chips. Spread the chips out evenly on one of the prepared baking trays and sprinkle with salt. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the feta topping by placing the feta, mayo, cream cheese, mustard, vinegar, paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl and mix together until smooth.
4. Lightly oil the skin side of the salmon fillets and place on the second prepared baking tray, skin side down. Spread the topping on the flesh side of the salmon fillets. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.
5. Once the chips have been baking for 20 mins, reduce the oven temperature to 200°C and bake the salmon in the oven alongside the chips. Take the chips out after 10 mins at 200°C but leave the salmon in for about 15 mins, or until the salmon is cooked through.
6. In the last couple of minutes before you take out the chips, melt ¼ cup butter in a fry pan. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 mins. Leave to cool a little then pour into the sealed bag used previously. Add the cooked chips, seal and toss evenly to coat the chips with the garlic butter.
7. In the last few minutes of the salmon cooking time, melt some more butter in the garlic butter fry pan, over a medium heat. Add the asparagus, toss to coat with butter then cover the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, turning occasionally.
8. Divide the salmon fillets, garlic chips and asparagus between 4 serving plates and serve with some mayonnaise or aioli.
Tip: You can cook the salmon on the charcoal bbq for a smoky, grilled flavour. Just turn off the inside ring cooker to stop the skin from burning and cook it for 10 – 15 minutes with the lid down.
By Hamish Bond