Smoked Fish and Potato Filo Parcels
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 20g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 20g flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 450g canned smoked fish fillets, drained
- 8 pieces filo pastry
- melted butter for brushing
- 200g frozen beans, steamed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
How to Use Filo Pastry
1. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes. Cook in salted water for 10 minutes. Mash roughly with a fork. Set aside.
2. Melt 20g butter in a small pot. Add onions and garlic cooking for 3 minutes until softened. Stir in flour and cook without browning for 3 minutes. Slowly add milk to make a thick sauce. Remove from heat, add parsley, smoked fish and potato. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C.
4. Divide fish and potato mixture into 4 even lots (approximately 4 cups).
5. Lie one piece of filo on a bench, brush with butter, then place another one top.
Place 1 cup of filling at one end, brush the edges with butter, then fold into a parcel. Repeat with the remaining filo. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Serve the filo parcels with steamed beans.
TIP: When working with filo pastry cover it with a damp tea towel to ensure is does not dry out. Wrap leftover pastry well and freeze.