Classic Mince and Cheese Pie
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stick celery, chopped small
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 beef stock cubes dissolved in 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 400g puff pastry
- 2 Tbsp milk to brush
- 200g frozen peas, steamed to serve
- tomato sauce to serve
How to Use Leftover Pastry
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic cooking for 4 minutes to soften. Add mince and cook until browned. Add carrot and celery and cook until softened. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the flour, stir through the stock and cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Pour mince mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C.
3. Roll ¾ of the pastry on a lightly floured board to fit a 20cm in diameter and 3cm high tin.
4. Spoon in the mince mixture into the tin sprinkling cheese as you go. Roll the remainder of the pastry to fit the top. Dampen the edges of the pie with milk then place on the top of the pie. Cook for 40 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
5. Serve with steamed peas on the side.
TIP: Any leftover bits of pastry are great for entertaining children. Help them make shapes and bake them at the same time as the pie.