Zucchini and Ricotta Open Pies with Olive Salsa
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 small zucchini/courgette, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 1 cup grated pizza cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup char-grilled pepper/capsicum strips
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- salad rocket leaves to serve
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
2. Cut each sheet of pastry into quarters. Lightly score a 2cm border around each square. Freeze for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat a char-grill plate on high. Toss zucchini in oil and grill for 1-2 minutes each side until tender.
4. In a bowl, combine ricotta, half the cheese and 1 egg. Season and mix well.
5. Arrange pastry on the trays and spread ricotta mixture over the centre of each. Top with zucchini slices and red pepper strips. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Spray tomatoes with oil. Season and add to tray with pastry.
7. Brush pastry edges with remaining beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden, and tomato skins wrinkle.
8. To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
9. Serve pies topped with olive salsa and scattered rocket leaves with roasted tomatoes on the side.
Tip: If preferred, replace zucchini with thinly sliced baby eggplant and ricotta with light cream cheese or goat’s cheese