Venison, Mushroom and Kumara Topped Pie
- 2 Tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 300-400g diced venison
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 kumara, orange or purple
- 1/4 potato
- small handful of grated cheese (aged gouda is good)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- salad or steamed vegetables to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil, then sauté the onion and carrot until softened.
3. Add the diced venison and brown, then add the red wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and black pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and butter to form a paste, then add this to the simmering stew and cook until thickened. Spoon into an oven-proof dish.
5. Make the topping by boiling the kumara and the potato in salted water until soft. Drain, then add the cheese and mash until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
6. Top the venison mixture with the kumara mash and drizzle with olive oil.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, and then serve with a simple salad or vegetables.