Rhubarb Custard Cake
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 120g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 2cm chunks
- icing sugar to dust
- whipped cream or yoghurt to serve
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease and line a 20 x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. Separate the eggs into two mixing bowls. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale.
3. Add the melted butter and vanilla extract, beating for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour until combined.
4. Slowly add the warm milk, beating until all the ingredients are well mixed.
5. In the other bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture a third at a time.
7. Pour the batter into the cake tin and scatter over the chopped rhubarb. It will sink into the cake as it bakes.
8. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the top is lightly golden and doesn't wobble.
9. Cool and dust with icing sugar, then serve with whipped cream or yoghurt
Tip: This lovely layered cake makes for a mouth watering dessert when paired with whipped cream, but it's also perfect with a cuppa.