- 500g spaghetti or linguine
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 drained anchovy fillets, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chill flakes
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup drained capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp small fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese to serve
How to Cook Perfect Pasta
1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling well-salted water, uncovered, until just tender, then drain. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook garlic and anchovies, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and the anchovies have almost cooked away.
3. Add the chilli and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in capers and olives. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
5. Add the drained pasta to the puttanesca sauce. Toss gently to combine. Add reserved cooking water, if desired. Sprinkle over parsley and basil. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Tip: for a vegetarian option, just exclude the anchovy fillets. Take out the Parmesan cheese to make this recipe dairy free.