Chinese Pork Belly
- 1/2 cup hao hsing wine or dry sherry
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chinese five spice
- 1kg piece boneless pork belly, skin on
- 1 bunch bok choy, halved
- 125g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- coriander leaves to serve
- steamed rice to serve
How to Cook Perfect Rice
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. In a small, shallow baking dish combine wine, soy, vinegar, honey and five spice. Add pork and rub all over to coat. Place skin side up and cover dish with foil. Bake for 2 hours.
3. Turn oven grill to hot. Remove foil from pork and grill 15-20 minutes, until skin is well browned and crisp, adding 1/4 cup water to pan if sauce is getting too thick. Rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, blanch bok choy in saucepan of salted boiling water for 1 minute, adding sugar snaps for the last 30 seconds. Drain well.
5. Thinly slice pork, spoon pan juices over and top with coriander leaves. Serve with greens and rice.
Tip: To make slicing through the skin easier, turn pork skin side down onto chopping board.