Char-grilled Lamb with Tomato Chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 400g can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500g lamb back strap or fillet
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 200g steamed beans, to serve
1. Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan. Cook onion, stirring over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add chickpeas, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes or until thick.
3. Meanwhile, combine remaining oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, lemon rind, cumin and cinnamon on a plate. Season well with freshly ground black pepper. Roll the lamb in the spice mixture to coat.
4. Spray a char-grill pan with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Cook lamb for 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate; cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Stir the mint through the chickpeas mixture and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with the sliced lamb and steamed beans.