Carrot Soup with Feta and Quinoa
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.2kg carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 600ml boiling water
- 100g quinoa
- 300g greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped italian parsley
- extra virgin olive oil to garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (2-3 minutes).
2. Add carrot, spices and lemon zest and stir occasionally until carrot softens (4-5 minutes).
3. Add stock and water, season to taste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (10-12 minutes). Drain and set aside in a bowl.
5. Remove soup from heat, add lemon juice and half of the feta. Process with a hand-held blender until smooth, then add vinegar.
6. Ladle into bowls. Top with quinoa, scatter with herbs and remaining feta, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve hot.
Tip: Check your vegetable stock is gluten free or use home made.