Asian Style Duck
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 4 x 250g fresh duck legs
- 5 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths, green tips reserved
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 5cm pieces, bruised
- 1 medium piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, bruised, chopped
- 1 whole long red chilli
- 1/4 cup palm sugar, grated
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 4 strips orange peel
- fish sauce to taste
- steamed chinese broccoli or choy sum to serve
- steamed rice to serve
1. Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish on high. Season duck with salt. Cook 5-6 minutes, turning to brown well all over. Transfer duck to a plate. Drain excess fat from pan.
2. In the same dish, sauté spring onions, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chilli for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add palm sugar, cinnamon and star anise,stirring until sugar dissolves.
3. Add water, juice and peel to pan. Bring to the boil. Return duck to dish and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, 2½ hours, until duck is tender and sauce has reduced by half.
4. Season with fish sauce. Serve with chinese broccoli or choy sum, rice and reserved spring onion.
Tip: Reserved duck fat can be strained and kept refrigerated. Use for roasting potatoes or cooking confit.