Courgette and Sausage Baked Risotto
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 courgettes,sliced
- 2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 green capsicum
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 fresh lamb or lamb & mint sausages
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
- 200g frozen peas, steamed
How to Cook Perfect Rice
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic cooking for 3 minutes until softened. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes to lightly toast. Add water and stir until it has been absorbed.
3. Add courgettes, tomatoes, capsicum, brown sugar, stock, salt and pepper. Bring it to a simmer then tip it into an ovenproof dish, cover tightly and place into the oven for 50 minutes or until the rice is tender.
4. Place sausages onto a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes in the oven. Remove and cut into thirds.
5. Ten minutes before the risotto is ready, poke the sausages in and sprinkle with cheese and return to finish cooking.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot with steamed peas on the side.
TIP: Make this a vegetarian dish by replacing the sausages with a range of other vegetables, feta, beans, chickpeas or lentils and using vegetable stock.