Cracked Wheat and Beef Meatballs with Pita Bread and Yoghurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat, soaked for 15 mins in boiling water & drained or alternatively use breadcrumb
- 400g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 8 pita bread pockets, cut in half
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
1. Place cracked wheat or breadcrumbs, mince, onion, garlic, mint, parsley into a large bowl mixing well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Roll into walnut nut sized balls and place onto plastic wrap until ready to cook.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook meatballs in batches rolling them around for even browning.
3. Combine yoghurt, lemon and chopped mint.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C and warm pita bread for a few minutes.
5. Fill each pita bread with lettuce, carrot, meat balls, and more lettuce and yoghurt sauce. Serve immediately.
TIP: When cooking your meatballs shake the pan to roll them around. This will help keep their circular shape.