Mustard Roast Chicken
- Size 18, 1.8kg chicken, trimmed, washed, dried
- ½ onion, peeled, quartered
- ½ lemon, quartered
- 90g butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup wholegrain mustard
- Roast vegetables, or oven-roast chips and salad, to serve
How to Prepare a Chicken or Turkey for Roasting
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C.
2. Place chicken on a rack in a large baking pan. Fill the cavity with onion and lemon. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Tuck wings under.
3. In a small bowl combine butter and mustard. Season to taste. Rub butter mixture over chicken.
4. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, basting occasionally, until juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Carve chicken to serve with roast vegetables of your choice, or oven-roast chips and salad.
Tip: Before baking, wash whole chicken under cold running water. Pat dry, inside and out, with paper towels.