Mustard Roast Chicken
- 1.8 kg size 18 chicken, trimmed, washed, dried
- 1/2 onion, peeled, quartered
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
- 90 g butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup wholegrain mustard
- roast vegetables, or oven-roast chips and salad, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Place chicken on a rack in a large roasting pan. Fill the cavity with onion and lemon. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Tuck wings underneath.
3. In a small bowl, combine butter and mustard. Season to taste. Rub butter mixture over chicken.
4. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices, until juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
5. Carve chicken and serve with roast vegetables on the side.
Tip: Before baking, wash whole chicken under cold running water. Pat dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Do this about 20 minutes before you plan to cook, to get the chicken to room temperature. This ensures even cooking.