Chocolate Easter Cake
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup thickened cream
- 400g eating-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- Assorted mini chocolate Easter eggs for decorating
How to Whip the Perfect Cream
1. Combine cocoa and water in a small bowl; whisk until smooth. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan, line base with baking paper.
3. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
4. Stir in sifted flours and soda, then milk, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, to make milk chocolate frosting; combine chocolate and cream in a small saucepan, stir over a very low heat until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate, stirring frequently, until a spreadable consistency.
6. Spread frosting over top and side of cake and decorate with Easter eggs.
Tip: Short on time? Grab a ready made iced chocolate cake from our in-store bakery and decorate with Easter eggs.