Roast Lamb with Lemon and Pine Nut Stuffing Crust
- 1 large leg of lamb (approx 2kg)
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 small handful of herbs – rosemary, thyme, parsley or sage, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic & herb salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 9 medium-sized potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 100g feta cheese
- 2 1/2 sprigs rosemary
How to Carve Roast Lamb
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (155°C fan forced). Trim the lamb of any excess fat and season the skin with salt. Place in a large, lined roasting dish and cover with foil, cooking for 35 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine the bread, onion, garlic, pine nuts and herbs, then pulse into fine crumbs. Add the oil, garlic & herb salt and lemon zest, then whizz until moist and starting to clump together.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes. Cut a small slice off the base of each one so they sit flat, then make thin 3/4 cuts across each potato. Rub with oil and seasoning.
4. Remove the lamb from the oven after 35 minutes and carefully remove the foil. Pat the stuffing crust all over the lamb leg as evenly as you can.
5. Place the sliced potatoes around the lamb and return to the oven. Cook for a further 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the lamb is cooked to your liking, the crust is golden and the potatoes are tender.
6. Add the feta slices and rosemary sprigs to each potato for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Allow the meat to rest for 8-10 minutes before serving.