Boiled New Potatoes with Minty Herb Butter
- 1.5 kg whole new potatoes, carefully washed
- 45g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp chopped mint, plus a few whole leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
How to Chop Herbs
1. Halve any large potatoes and place in a large saucepan with larger pieces at the bottom. Cover with boiling water, add a pinch of salt and a couple of mint leaves and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
2. Check the potatoes are cooked by pricking with a skewer – they should ‘give’ but not be falling apart. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes, so check them after 15 minutes.
3. While potatoes are simmering, combine butter and chopped herbs.
4. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan over the heat for 30 seconds, shaking the pan gently to dry them (if they break a little that is fine; the broken skins will simply absorb more of the lovely herb butter).
5. Add the herb butter and swirl or toss the potatoes so they are well coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve in a warmed serving dish.