Sticky Sesame Ginger Ribs
- 5 ribs per person, depending on size
- 3 cups water
- 397 g char siu sauce (Chinese barbecue sauce)
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 spring onions, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 165ºC (145°C fan forced). Arrange the ribs in a deep roasting tray. Combine water and half the char siu sauce. Pour over the ribs and cover with foil. Cook for 11/2 hours, checking once to turn the ribs.
2. Combine remaining char siu sauce, sweet chilli, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds, five spice, soy sauce and orange zest and juice.
3. Increase oven temperature to 185ºC (165°C fan forced). Remove ribs from oven and drain, reserving half a cup of liquid, and arrange in a single layer on lined shallow roasting trays.
4. Whisk the ribs’ stock into the sauce mixture and brush generously over each rib. Cook for 20-30 minutes, adding extra sauce once or twice until glazed and sticky.
5. Garnish with spring onions before serving.
Tip: Ensure you have finger bowls of warm water for guests.