- 500g kumara, peeled, cubed
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1L vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup plain flour, seasoned
- Prepared aioli, to serve
How to Cook Perfect Rice
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200°C (180°C fan forced). Combine kumara, Rosemary and 1 tablespoon oil on a baking tray. Season to taste and toss well. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and tender. Mash and set aside.
2. Heat another 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan. Saute onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in wine, stir, then simmer for 1-2 minutes until wine has almost evaporated.
3. In a medium saucepan bring stock to the boil. Add hot stock to the rice mixture 1 cup at a time, stirring until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
4. Stir in kumara, parmesan, peas and parsley, reserving a little of the parsley for garnish. Transfer to a large bowl. Allow to cool, then chill until cold and firm.
5. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Flatten slightly and toss in the flour.
6. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook risotto cakes, in 4 batches, for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with aioli. Garnish with parsley.
Tip: As an alternative to aioli, try it with your favourite pesto sauce to serve.