Chocolate Pavlova with Salted Butterscotch Sauce
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp balsamic or white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 75g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 150ml cream
- 75g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butterscotch schnapps
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 600ml cream, whipped
- 2 Tbsp fine, good quality chocolate flakes, to garnish
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line baking tray with baking paper. Trace around plate on paper. Place egg whites in bowl of mixer. Beat until soft peaks form. Using a tablespoon, add caster sugar in 6 batches, beating well after each addition, to form stiff, glossy peaks.
2. Add cocoa, vinegar and cream of tartar. Beat briefly, then remove beaters from bowl. Use spatula to gently fold in chopped chocolate. Spoon pavlova into circle on baking paper. Pile mixture high and smooth around edges. Place pavlova in oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Bake 1 hour, or until meringue is cracked and hard on the outside. Turn oven off with door slightly open. Allow pavlova to cool completely.
3. To make sauce: put all ingredients in saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool.
4. To serve, place pavlova on platter. Spoon whipped cream onto it. Swirl spoonfuls of sauce into the cream. Sprinkle with chocolate flakes and sea salt flakes.