Three Ways with Stuffing
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 slices bread, blitzed to rough crumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
How to prepare a Chicken or Turkey for roasting
BASIC STUFFING RECIPE
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot.
3. Cook for 5-8 minutes until all the vegetables are soft but not brown.
4. Place onion mix into a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, zest, mixed herbs, egg, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Place the stuffing in a greased loaf tin. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
MUSHROOM, HAZELNUT STUFFING WRAPPED IN BACON
Using the above basic recipe
• 200g mushrooms finely chopped
• 1 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
• 6 slices streaky bacon
Follow the method above but add 200g finely chopped mushrooms to the frying pan. Once all the liquid is cooked out, add the hazelnuts and thyme and mix. Lay 6 slices of streaky bacon on a sheet of baking paper making sure they are slightly overlapped. Place stuffing through the middle and use the paper to roll into a log. Secure with a toothpick if needed. Bake in the oven for 25 mins and cool for 10 mins before slicing.
SEED AND NUT STUFFING
Using the above basic recipe add to the bowl
• 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
• 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup cranberries
• 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• Pinch chilli flakes
Follow the method above but add all the listed ingredients to the onion, garlic, celery and carrot before cooking.