Chocolate Cake with summer berries
- 175g butter, softened
- 1¾ cups of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour/gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup dark chocolate buttons
- ½ cup cream
- 150 ml cream, lightly whipped
- 3 cups fresh summer berries
- Icing sugar for dusting
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 23cm tin.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well.
3. Sift into your creamed mixture the cocoa, flour and baking powder. Mix it through alternatively with the milk until well combined and smooth.
4. Pour the batter into your tin and smooth the top.
5. Place in oven and bake at 180°C for half an hour or until the cake begins to pull away from the edge of the tin, the cake’s surface springs back to the touch, and when a clean skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake stand for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin.
6. Place the chocolate and 1/2 cup cream in a bowl over simmering water. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth. Remove it from the heat and cool until it is a spreadable texture.
7. Split the cake in half using a sharp knife. Place the bottom half onto your serving plate. Spoon over the whipped cream and sprinkle over 1 cup of berries. Place the top on the cake. Using a knife spread the icing over the top. Leave for 10 minutes then pile the remaining fruit on top. Dust with a little icing sugar to finish.