Garlic Chicken and Crispy Spuds
- 500 g Agria potatoes, peeled, halved or quartered
- 3 Tbsp oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 kg chicken pieces
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3 sprigs thyme
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme for garnishing
- 300 g green beans
- 200 g peas
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and pre-heat oven tray.
2. Add potatoes into a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and par-boil for 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove from heat, drain then return to the element for 10-20 seconds to dry them of any excess water. When dry, shake the saucepan to roughen the edges. Add 3 Tbsp oil to the saucepan and coat potatoes. Season with salt and add them to your hot oven tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until very crisp.
3. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp oil. Pan fry the chicken until both sides become crispy and nicely browned. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
4. Discard almost all of the chicken fat from the pan and return it to a medium low heat, add sliced garlic cloves and sauté gently until golden brown. Add white wine to the pan to deglaze. Cook scraping the good bits from the bottom of the pan for a minute then add stock. Bring to a boil and add cream along with thyme, salt and pepper and paprika. Add chicken back into the pan, reduce heat and simmer to reduce the sauce and cook the chicken until the juices run clear.
5. Serve garlic chicken with crispy spuds garnished with thyme, steamed beans and peas on the side.
Tip: For extra crispiness, grill the chicken in an oven for about 1 minute before serving.
By Brett McGregor