Churros with Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- 100 g milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
- ice cream to serve
1. To make cinnamon sugar: combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
2. To make churros: place 1 cup water, 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar, salt and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a small saucepan and whisk together. Place onto high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the flour, mixing until it forms a ball.
3. Half fill a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan with vegetable oil (approximately 8 cm) over high heat.
4. Transfer the dough to a cloth pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag fitted with a large star tip.
5. Pipe the dough over the pot of oil to a length of about 5cm, then using scissors or a sharp knife, cut it so it releases into the oil.
6. Pipe 2-3 churros into the oil at a time, frying them until they are golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the churros to a paper towel lined plate to drain for 2 minutes. Then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, repeating the frying and coating process with the remaining dough.
7. To make the chocolate sauce: place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream then pour over chocolate, stir until chocolate is melted. Place into a bowl to serve.
8. Serve the churros with chocolate sauce and ice cream.
By Brett McGregor