Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 400g can Homebrand diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 90g red lentils, soaked as per packet instructions
- 1L vegetable stock
- 420g Select chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander plus extra for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley plus extra for garnishing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp chopped mint
- 4 Signature Range Pita Bread
- Olive oil for drizzling
How to Chop Herbs
Heat oil on a low heat in a large saucepan and add onion. Cook slowly for 10 minutes or until softened and translucent.
Add ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, tomatoes, sugar and combine. Stir in the lentils and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
Stir in the chickpeas and fresh herbs and season to taste. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
To make the tzatziki: place yoghurt, cucumber, garlic and chopped mint into a bowl. Mix until combined.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Cut each pita bread in half and then each half in triangles. Place on an oven tray in a single layer. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
Serve soup hot, garnished with parsley and coriander with pita bread and tzatziki on the side.
By Brett McGregor