Meatloaf with Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- salt, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 300 g beef mince
- 3 pork sausages, skin removed
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 2 Tbsp parsley plus extra for garnishing
- 300 g whole green beans, steamed
- tomato sauce to serve
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C, with a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large, frying pan on medium heat. Add onion, celery, and 3 cloves garlic (minced) and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots, cover pan and cook for another 5 minutes, until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire and tomato sauce. Cook for another minute and remove from heat to cool.
3. Once the vegetables have cooled to the touch, place them in a large bowl with mince, sausages, eggs, breadcrumbs and parsley. Use your hands to mix them together until everything is evenly distributed.
4. Place meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan (12cm x 22cm) and press down.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Then use a spatula to gently lift the meatloaf out of the loaf pan to a serving plate.
6. To make the smashed potatoes: Boil potatoes for 8 minutes. Drain and cool for 10 minutes. Mash roughly. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add 1 Tbsp butter, 2 cloves garlic crushed and potatoes and fry until golden and crispy.
7. Serve the meatloaf with smashed potatoes, steamed beans and tomato sauce.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs place a couple slices of bread in a food processor and pulse until you have crumbs.
By Brett McGregor