Corned Beef Pockets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cooked corned beef, shredded
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cabbage, chopped
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- pinch white sugar
- salt, to season
- pepper, to season
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- 500 g fries, roasted until crunchy
- Seasonal Salad
- 60 g salad greens
- 1 carrot, grated
- tomato sauce, to serve
1. To make the filling: In a large frying pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add corned beef and sauté until slightly crispy and golden brown.
2. Add onions, cook for 1 minute. Add cabbage, 2 tbsp water, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set mixture aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
4. Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways so you get 4 sheets. Divide corned beef and cabbage filling into 4 lots and spoon onto one end of each of pastry sheet. Sprinkle grated cheese over the filling.
5. Using a little water wet the edges of the parcel then take the other end and close it. Seal the edges with a fork. Brush with beaten egg. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve with fries, salad and tomato sauce.
Tip: The filling can be made a day ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the hot pockets.
By Brett McGregor