Warm Lentil Salad
- 400 g vine tomatoes
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good-quality red wine vinegar
- 250 g dried brown lentils, soaked and boiled as per packet instructions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g fresh mozzarella, torn into rough chunks
Preheat the oven to 130°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Place tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Arrange the thyme sprigs on top. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 1½ hours or until semi dried. Discard the thyme and allow the tomatoes to cool down slightly.
Meanwhile, place the red onion in a medium bowl, pour over the vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir and set aside for a few minutes so the onion softens a bit.
Add the warm lentils to the onion and vinegar along with the remaining olive oil, garlic and some black pepper. Stir to mix. Add the herbs and gently mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pile up the lentils on a large plate or bowl, integrating the cheese and tomatoes as you build up the pile. Drizzle the tomato cooking juices on top and serve.