Slow-cooked Ham & Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 brown onions, roughly diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 250 g cannellini beans, soaked, rinsed and boiled as per packet instructions
- 1 ham bone
- Food Magazine
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large pan Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the thyme, sage, two-thirds of the carrot and half the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Pour in the stock and add three-quarters of the beans and the remaining garlic. With a stick blender, blend to form a soup (if you don’t have a stick blender carefully pour it into a blender to blend).
3. Pour the soup into a slow cooker and add the ham and the remaining beans and carrot. Place on a low heat and leave for about 4 hours. Serve with crusty bread.
By Food Magazine