Pumpkin & Coconut Fritter with Apple, Coriander & Kale Salad
- 1 apple, cored, cut into matchsticks
- 2 kale leaves, finely shredded
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- 200g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 50g flour
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 50g cashew nuts, toasted, chopped
Combine the apple, kale, onion and 1/4 cup coriander in a bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the yoghurt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
Whisk the eggs and coconut cream together in a bowl. Coarsely chop the remaining coriander leaves then stir into the egg mix, along with the carrot, pumpkin, spring onions and coconut. Sift the flour over the top then sprinkle with the ground coriander, cumin, chilli flakes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Season generously with sea salt, then mix gently to combine.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add heaped tablespoonfuls of the pumpkin mix and fry for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Keep warm in a low oven while you repeat with the remaining mixture.
Whisk the lime juice and extra virgin olive oil together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use to dress the apple mixture, then sprinkle with cashew nuts. Serve the fritters with the salad, with the paprika yoghurt on the side.
By Cuisine Magazine