Classic Banana Cake
- 125 g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp hot milk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- cups mashed ripe bananas
- Edmonds Baking Soda
- Edmonds Baking Powder
- Cream Cheese Icing
- cream cheese, at room temperature
- icing sugar, sifted
- butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add mashed bananas and mix thoroughly. Stir soda into hot milk and add to creamed mixture.
5. Fold sifted flour and baking powder into mixture then mix in walnuts.
6. Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, put all the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread icing over top of the cooled cake.
Swap half of the standard flour for wholemeal flour to add some extra fibre to this cake.