Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp cornflower mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 200ml lightly whipped cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the base of a spring form 22cm tin.
2. Beat butter, 1/2 cup of sugar and egg yolk until light and creamy. Fold through the flour and baking powder. Spread the mix evenly over the bottom of the tin. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove and cool.
3. Place rhubarb into a pot with 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes until soft. Add cornflower and cook for a further 2 minutes until thickened. Remove, cool for 10 minutes then spread over the base.
4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar a tablespoon at a time, then add vanilla. Spread over the rhubarb and sprinkle over the coconut. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden.
5. Refrigerate your pie for 3 hours or overnight before slicing.
Tip: This recipe is also delicious using other seasonal fruit like apples and feijoas combined, apricots, or frozen berries