Mediterranean Haloumi Bake
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 10g butter
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano, plus extra for garnishing
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 80g green olives, chopped
- 100g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 potatoes, peeled, cooked and thinly sliced
- 1 kumara, peeled, cooked and thinly sliced
- 200g Haloumi cheese, crumbled
- 50g salad greens
- Parmesan for garnish
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 22cm x 20cm ovenproof dish.
2. In a large frying pan, add oil and butter. When bubbling, add oregano, garlic and onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add carrot, cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add olives, sundried tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and lemon zest. Mix well, taste and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place a layer of the onion mixture at the bottom of the greased dish, top with a layer of potatoes and kumara, then sprinkle over some of the crumbled Haloumi. Repeat layering until you have a top layer of potatoes. Sprinkle over remaining Haloumi and a little more oregano.
5. Drizzle with oil then bake for 20 minutes. Grill for the last 5 minutes so you get a lovely crispy top.
6. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with a lightly tossed Parmesan and green salad.
By Jax Hamilton